APPRECIATING THE PERFECT PLACEMENT OF PLANET EARTH IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM
1. The Sun is at the centre of the Solar System.
2. It is the only star in the Solar System. It gives off light and heat.
3. The nine major planets in the Solar System are at different distences from the Sun.
4. In general, the planets nearer to the Sun have a hotter condition compared with those that are
5. Mercury is the nearest planet to the Sun. Its surface facing the Sun as a very high temperature of
6. No water exists on this planet because of the high temperature.
7. Venus, the second nearest planet to the Sun, is the hottest planet in the Solar System. It surface
temperature is about 462C.
8. As a result of the high temperature, liquid water does not exist on Venus.
9. Earth, the third planet from the Sun, is the only planet that has a moderate surface temperature that
is suitable for water to exist in liquid form. The Earth is not too hot and not too cold.
10. The Earth is also surrounded by a layer of gases known as the atmosphere. This layer of gases
provides air which is essential for living things.
11. Moderate temperatures sufficient water and air make the Earth the only planet that supports living
12. Mars, the fourth planet from the Sun, has a very cold surface. Its average temperature is about -55C
Posted by mega at 21:14 0 comments